miércoles, 28 de agosto de 2019

Tina’s Tips & 16 Things Your Succulents Want You to Know Amazing tips

According to Cactus & Succulent Society vendor and expert grower Tina Zucker, "you don't need to understand the science of plants" to be successful with succulents. "It's all about observation," she says, "and anyone can do that." Tina calls it "gardening from the heart."

Autumn is "a perfect time to observe changes," Tina adds. As days shorten and nights lengthen, "winter growers like aeoniums begin to wake up, and summer growers like echeverias start to go dormant."

Tina asks, "When you look at your plants, do you really see them?" For example, "Maybe you're growing the same succulents on opposite sides of your house. Some get full sun, others part sun. What differences do you notice in the plants?" (Something as simple as orientation to the sun can cause succulents to grow larger, be greener or more red, go dry or even sunburn.)

How does heightened awareness help plants? "People are inclined to water succulents that aren't looking good," Tina says. "But if you know it's because their growth is slowing, you know it's not lack of water." And if a kalanchoe's leaves fall off, "don't see it as a problem but as an opportunity. They'll root and you'll get a new plant."

Scroll down to learn about Tina selling her business and her upcoming sales. 

16 Things Your Succulents Want You to Know

If you see these happening with your succulents, listen up:

Wrinkled leaves on succulents

Wrinkled leaves: "Gasp! I'm living on stored moisture until the rains come."

 

ShriveledShriveled leaf tips: "I nearly froze!" or "Why did you set me in full, hot sun?" leaf tips on succulents

Shriveled leaf tips: "I nearly froze!" or "Why did you set me in full, hot sun?"

 

Damaged succulents

Torn, ragged or perforated leaves: "How could you let me get eaten?"

 

Aerial roots on succulent

Aerial roots on stems: "Hey! Help me out by taking a cutting!"

 

Aloe rosette closed up

Rosettes close themselves: "Conditions aren't great so I'm shielding my core."

 

Dry lower leaves on succulent

Dry leaves cling to stem: "I prefer to shade (or insulate) my trunk."

 

Succulent growth that leans

Growth that leans: "I'm fairly certain the sun's over there."

 

Rot on succulent

Leaves darken near stem: "I'm drowning! You let me rot!"

 

Hail damage to succulent

Pitted leaves after storms: "Ouch! Hail!"

 

Baby succulent at cut end

Tiny new leaves at cut end: "Right?! Aren't they adorable?!"

 

Root bound succulent

Roots break or escape pot: "Dude, you ever gonna plant me?"

 

Sunburned succulent

Brown or beige patches: "That sun is HOT. I could use some shade. Just sayin'."

 

Damaged aeonium

Brown marks on aeoniums: "You should have handled me more gently."

 

Aloe mite

Cancerous, bubbly growth on aloes: "Eek! I've got aloe mite! Get it before it spreads!"

 

Blotchy leaves

Colorful leaves become blotchy: "No worries, I'm just getting more (or less) sun."

 

Baby succulent

Leaves pop off easily: "Why so upset? I'm simply trying to have a baby."

Can you think of more? Share your observations in the Comments below!

"It's Time," Tina Says

Tina Zucker's business, Succulent Gardening, specializes in rare and unusual varieties. "I go for the unique, different and uncommon," she says. In addition to Cactus & Succulent Society of America shows and sales, Tina also sells online. Despite not advertising, it's a thriving mail-order store.

But "it's time," Tina says, for her to retire and sell her business. This is a golden opportunity for an enterprising succulent enthusiast or nursery with adequate space (she has several greenhouses of plants). To learn more or to receive an invitation to sales Tina is having in Solana Beach, CA in September and October, contact her. Note: She is NOT selling her home or moving. 

See Tina in My Videos

On my Instagram page: Aug., 2019: Tina shows part of her collection. Oct., 2018: Tina explains how to water lithops at the annual Palomar Cactus & Succulent Society sale at the San Diego Botanic Garden.

On my YouTube channel, Tina shows some of the plants she's selling at a San Diego Cactus & Succulent Society sale

Learn More

On my YouTube channel: Oh No! Something's Wrong With My Succulent! 

 

Uh-oh, Is My Succulent Sick?

Succulent Plant Pests, Diseases and Other Problems Keep your succulents looking their best When a succulent isn’t looking quite right, you may wonder if you’ve done something wrong. Here’s what to look for: symptoms, causes, severity, prevention, and treatments for common succulent pests and problems. ‘Sunburst’ aeonium showing abrasion bruises Abrasion Not Serious but unsightly.…

The post Tina’s Tips & 16 Things Your Succulents Want You to Know appeared first on Debra Lee Baldwin. Copyright © Debra Lee Baldwin.



from Debra Lee Baldwin https://ift.tt/2zu8HL6
via IFTTT

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario