miércoles, 21 de noviembre de 2018

12 Great Gifts for Succulent Lovers Amazing tips

Much of what follows is my own wish list, but these 12 items make good gifts for other succulent lovers too. Some I already own and figured you’d like too. If you’re the giftee, you might want to forward this to the gifter. Note: Some links go to Amazon, where I’m an associate, so I do get a small percentage of any sales that result (doesn’t cost you extra). Please know I appreciate it—especially since, while doing this exhaustive research, I bought a few things. ;+)

Tools and useful items

Thorn Armor Gloves: These are the gloves that Phoenix artist Jim Sudal wore while assembling his prickly-pear holiday tree. His gloves were shot after two days and 250 spiny pads, but Jim says he wouldn’t—and couldn’t—have done it without them. Prices vary according to size, but expect to pay $50 and be pleasantly surprised if it’s less. I figure a pair ought to last someone like me, who doesn’t handle cactus much, a lifetime. In fact, they’ll likely become heirlooms.

Thorn armor gloves

Thorn Armor gloves

Joyce Chen scissors. Around $20. I have four pairs that I keep in various drawers and on my potting bench. I even have a pair in my car for…well…you know, the occasional overgrown succulent by the side of the road. Joyce Chen scissors don’t appear tough, but they can cut through finger-diameter branches. I use them mainly for precision snipping, clipping and deadheading. If I could keep one of pair away from the garden, I’d use it for its intended purpose: in the kitchen, cutting bones.

Succulent clippers

12-Inch Tweezers. Under $10. These are for fiddly instances when you have to reach into an agave or between spines to extract fallen leaves, weeds and bits of debris. Long tweezers also are good for picking up bristly succulents. However, for a plant much larger than a ping-pong ball, you really need tongs…which I suspect you already have (check the kitchen). Hm, maybe you should get a second set of those, too.

Gifts for succulent lovers

The Colorful Dry Garden, $23. Not only is author Maureen Gilmer a renowned expert on plants and gardening in the dry, hot Southwest, her explanations, advice and descriptions are engaging and insightful. Gilmer’s beautifully illustrated book presents an extensive assortment of flowering shrubs that make great low-water companions for succulents. It dovetails perfectly with my newly revised and updated second edition of Designing with SucculentsWant to win both? See the Giveaway below. 

Moisture meter. Worried about under- or over-watering your succulents? Ironically, highly nurturing succulent owners are most at risk of having their plants rot. If you tend to be a helicopter plant parent, you’ll find a moisture meter reassuring. Stick its probe into the soil, and if the indicator goes to the left of moist, it’s OK to water. If it zips to the right, back away from the plant. This particular meter also measures light and soil pH, and needs no battery—not bad for under $10.

Gifts for succulent lovers

Pretty, Cool Stuff

Commemorative Tile: It’s a win-win: You support a worthy cause; honor a cherished relationship for decades (if not centuries) hence; and you give the recipient a lifelong fondness for a public garden. This particular tile is in the Children’s Garden of the San Diego Botanic Garden (SDBG), and whenever my grandson goes there, he looks for it. The SDBG is now raising funds for a 7,400-square-foot glass conservatory. Donor tiles are $250 to $5,000, depending on size. In the Bay Area, the Ruth Bancroft Garden—renowned for its succulent collection—is currently selling donor tiles to raise funds for a new building.Gifts for Succulent Lovers

Cactus pad jewelry. I found the adjustable ring (above) on Etsy for $11. Matching earrings are $10. They’re made of “high quality resin” and come from Bulgaria, so if you’re interested, order soon.

Succulent leggings. No one would ever think of getting these for me (how sad is that?), so I consoled myself by adding them to my cart. If the pattern I chose is a too sedate for you, do a search for “succulent leggings.” There are dozens of styles, some insanely colorful.

Gifts for succulent lovers

Succulent shoes. These come in several patterns, including cacti. I can’t speak for the quality, but I’m intrigued. The seller won’t ship after Nov. 30 to ensure delivery by Dec. 25, so if you’re interested, jump. I’m a size 9. Just sayin’. 

On my Zazzle store

Wondering about my own designs? Thank you! Over the years, I’ve created dozens of gift and decorative items for sale online via Zazzle. Zazzle doesn’t make it easy to pass along discounts, but here’s a 15%-off code you can use through Jan. 31, 2019. Copy-and-paste it when you order: UQEYOJQKDMCOXQJQPRTP. But first see if they’re offering an even better discount (which they often do).

Gifts for succulent lovers

My 2019 Succulent Watercolors calendar, regular price $22.15. Nine of the 12 pages are shown at right.

Agave watercolor tile, 4.25″ x 4.25″, regular price $13.70.

Gifts for succulent lovers

Barrel cactus pillow, several sizes. Lumbar shown here, 13″ x 21″, regular price $36.65.

 

Blue agaves throw pillow, several sizes. Throw shown here, 16″ x 16″, regular price $31.35.

And now, My Giveaway!Gifts for Succulent LoversMosey over to Instagram to enter to win two terrific books: Designing with Succulents by yours truly and The Colorful Dry Garden by Maureen Gilmer. If you’re also one of my newsletter subscribers, you’re eligible to WIN A THIRD ITEM: my Succulents 2019 Watercolor Calendar. Winner will be selected at random and announced on Instagram Sunday, Nov. 25 at noon PST. Sorry, no prizes mailed beyond North America.

Related Info on This Site:

Where and How to Order Succulents Online 

Tools, Books and Products for Succulent Gardeners

The post 12 Great Gifts for Succulent Lovers appeared first on Succulent Design, Gardens, Containers, Landscapes.



from Succulent Design, Gardens, Containers, Landscapes https://ift.tt/2Qav6qR
via IFTTT

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario